Ok... always when I am going by car over the Brenner Pass, the weather is like sh*t. It was till now always raining and/or snowing. Of course also the temperature goes down significantly. Never one sunbeam was detected by me in this part of the Alps. It always makes me a little bit depressive... How can someone live there? Even the mountains there dont look very pretty(See above, photo out of my car). Obviously I need also to take into account that the pass is quite high, 1374 m to be exact.
Other thoughts which are also coming through my mind when I drive over this highway: How horrible it must have been for past generations to get over this hump to come to Italy. In the middle ages it must have been quite dangerous, regarding the weather and all these castles here around. Also when we come back to the modern times, it is by no means obvious that there is a highway. Some decades ago everybody had to pass all the small villages on the way, as the highway as we know it was opended in 1963. How did they do it during WW1 and WW2? Nowadays it is one of the most important passes in the Alps for any kind of transit.
they finished the last piece (klausen-bozen) of the highway just in 1974!
ReplyDeletevisit my blog: http://finkomane.blogspot.com/
Well, I saw often good weather, when I went hitch-hiking over the Brenner so far... I guess you are just not lucky. :-P
ReplyDeleteTo experience the Brenner world a bit more intense I recommend to take the tour over the Brenner at least once per bike... I did it in 1994 (Passau-Merano in 5 days) and it was amazing!
wie mein vorschreiber schon sagte: mitm radl musst du da drüber! wir überlegen im august ne woche alpenüberquerung mitm radl zu machen.
ReplyDeletehoffentlich klappts, dann könnten wir eventuell auch nach bozen radln und dich kurz besuchen