Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Provocation over provocation

Some of might know this signboard: 

This sign states "South Tyrol is not Italy" and it can be seen when you drive the Brennero-highway from Austria to Italy, it is still on the austrian side. So it was for a long time and is still visible to every car driver who passes by, especially the german students and tourists know it already. It was stationed by south-tyrolean activists supported by a local party here which wants the separation of the Province Alto Adige from Italy. As it is seen as a provocation towards the italian-speaking people in the region, italian activists destroyed or smeared it several times. 

Two weeks ago, the provocation of the sign was answered by another provocation as I got to know scarcely: some guys took this board, transported it to Bolzano and threw it in front of the Siegestor, which is known as the symbol for italian suppression towards the german-speaking minority. I dont want to comment this, I think as a foreigner I am not qualified for this. But I notice that these processes mirror also the intensification of the dispute on the political level. 

How the italians felt embarrassed, shows this story: they were asking over the foreign ministry the austrians if they could remove it. And they are ok with it, so now the board (or the new board) must be removed till the end of may, so it must be gone already today. For sure there will come up some new ideas for the south-tyrolean activists to get their message in the right place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment